Join Peters Valley’s supportive community of artists and gain experience managing a fully equipped and busy craft studio while mentoring our studio assistants. This can be a career launching opportunity for those seriously pursuing a position in the field of craft. We are seeking experienced energetic artists with great people skills and strong working knowledge of a fine craft studio.
Studio Coordinator Program
We are pleased to announce the opening of our Studio Coordinator positions for the 2024 workshop season which runs May 1st through October 30th. These positions will be available to one individual in each of the following studios: Blacksmithing, Fibers/Textiles, Jewelry/Fine Metals, Woodworking, and Printmaking/2D/Mixed Media. This program provides invaluable professional development opportunities and experience working in a non-profit art organization. Candidates will receive a stipend of $10,000.
In addition to the stipend, studio coordinators receive unlimited studio access with all utilities included; a private room in a house shared with other studio coordinators (all utilities included) and are welcome to complimentary meals when the dining hall is serving. Due to the rural nature of our campus, candidates must have a car.
Peters Valley School of Craft champions the unifying power of art, craft, and creativity; celebrates the diversity of our shared humanity; and condemns racism and violence in all forms. We are committed to eliminating barriers to participation in all of our programs so that we can create opportunities for creative people and encourage BIPOC candidates to apply.
Deadline to apply is February 1st
- Network and work alongside outstanding professional artists in your field.
- Receive hands-on experience managing a studio and all of the systems involved.
- Learn about the many diverse aspects of working for a non-profit art organization.
- Spend the summer living in a historic house in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, where our campus is located. All utilities are included.
- Complementary meals when the dining hall is open (2-5 days per week May-September)
- Studio space and full access to equipment. All utilities are included. Materials are the responsibility of the fellow.
- Opportunities for teaching & demonstrating
- Opportunities to sell and show your work in the Peters Valley Gallery & weekly auctions.
- Join a supportive community of artists working in a variety of mediums that will be your professional network long after you leave.
- Participate in field trips and special events
- $10,000 stipend to offset living expenses, material costs, etc.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent studio experience. Masters degree is a plus
- Familiarity with or experience in a craft school setting is highly recommended
- Knowledge of studio operations & proficiency with equipment
- The ability to work independently, take direction and work well with others
- Confidence to manage and mentor the studio assistant
- Great customer service and communication skills
- The ability to address issues diplomatically and problem-solve when needed
- Understands and values racial equity as an organizational operating principle and is committed to continued learning on issues related to race, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Enthusiasm for your craft!
- Create a welcoming & inclusive studio environment for instructors, students & visitors.
- Manage all studio operations such as ordering workshop supplies, inventory and equipment maintenance.
- Act as the liaison with visiting instructors prior to their arrival to discuss studio equipment and supply needs.
- Welcome visiting instructors when they arrive, show them around the studio, and make sure they have everything needed for a successful workshop.
- Assist with cleaning and disinfection of tools, equipment and studios during workshops.
- Assist, accommodate and communicate with visiting instructors and students.
- Manage and mentor the studio assistants and help with workshop prep and clean-up.
- Monitor some evening open studio hours
- Assist with special events when needed
- Act as a representative of Peters Valley
Workshops run 9am to 5pm each day with a 1.5 hour break for lunch .
Workshops in May, September & October are generally weekend workshops running Saturday & Sunday. Workshops in June, July & August generally run for 5 days: Friday through Tuesday.
Studios are open in the evenings for students to work, usually until about 10pm.
Studio Coordinators must be available during the entire workshop season (May 1 through October 30). Ideally the candidate will be available prior to the workshop season to help get the studio ready.