Join Peters Valley’s supportive community of artists and gain experience managing a fully equipped and busy craft studio while mentoring our studio assistants. This is the perfect opportunity for an experienced energetic artist with great people skills and strong working knowledge of a fine craft studio.
Artist Fellowship Program
We are pleased to announce four artist fellowships for the 2022 season. The fellowships are available to one individual for each of the following studios: Fibers & Textiles, Woodworking, and Photography/2D & Mixed Media. We are also looking for an artist fellow for our Youth Art Studio. This program provides invaluable professional development opportunities and experience working in a non-profit art organization. Artist Fellows receive a stipend of $8,100 ($3,600 for Youth Art which has an abbreviated season) in addition to lodging and meals on campus when the dining hall is open. Due to the rural nature of our campus, candidates must have their own transportation.
Peters Valley School of Craft champions the unifying power of art, craft, and creativity; celebrates the diversity of our shared humanity; and condemns racism and violence in all forms. We are committed to eliminating barriers to participation in all of our programs so that we can create opportunities for creative people and encourage BIPOC candidates to apply.
The deadline to apply is February 1st.
- Network and work alongside outstanding professional artists in your field.
- Hands-on studio experience managing a studio.
- On-campus lodging and meals when the dining hall is open (5 days per week)
- Studio space and full access to equipment.
- Opportunities to sell and show your work in the Peters Valley Gallery & weekly auctions.
- Join a supportive community of artists working in a variety of mediums that will be your professional network long after you leave.
- Participate in field trips and special events
- Spend the summer living in a historic house in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, where our campus is located.
- $8,100 stipend ($3,600 for Youth Art) to offset living expenses, material costs, etc.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent studio experience. Masters degree is a plus
- Familiarity with or experience in a craft school setting is highly recommended
- Knowledge of studio operations & proficiency with equipment
- The ability to work independently, take direction and work well with others
- Confidence to manage and mentor the studio assistant
- Good communication skills and the ability to address issues diplomatically
- Understands and values racial equity as an organizational operating principle and is committed to continued learning on issues related to race, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Enthusiasm for your craft!
- Oversee & manage all studio operations such as ordering workshop supplies, inventory and equipment maintenance.
- Act as the liaison with visiting instructors prior to their arrival to discuss studio equipment and supply needs.
- Welcome visiting instructors when they arrive, show them around the studio, and make sure they have everything needed for a successful workshop.
- Assist with cleaning and disinfection of tools, equipment and studios during workshops.
- Assist, accommodate and communicate with visiting instructors and students.
- Manage and mentor the studio assistants and help with workshop prep and clean-up.
- Monitor some evening open studio hours
- Assist with special events when needed
- Act as a representative of Peters Valley
Workshops run 9am to 5pm each day with a 1.5 hour break for lunch .
Workshops in May, September & October are generally weekend workshops running Saturday & Sunday. Workshops in June, July & August generally run for 5 days: Friday through Tuesday.
Studios are open in the evenings for students to work, generally until about 10pm.
Most instructors arrive the evening prior to the workshop. Artist Fellows are asked to welcome them upon their arrival and make sure they have studio access if requested.
Friday evenings visiting instructors talk about and show their work to the staff & students.
Artist Fellows for the adult studios must be available during the entire workshop season (May through mid-September). Ideally the candidate will be available prior to the workshop season to help get the studio ready, but must be available from May 1st - September 15th. We also offer an option to stay through October & November as a resident artist. Fellows are asked to help with any workshops that may be scheduled during that time in exchange for lodging and unlimited studio access.
Youth Art Fellows must be available July 1st through August 31st. Ideally the candidate would arrive in late June to get the studio ready. There is not an option to stay as an artist resident after the season ends for this fellowship.
How to apply:
- Fill out the application form below.
- If you have additional visual documentation to submit beyond what's included in the form you can email us at email@example.com or mail it to:
Peters Valley School of Craft
19 Kuhn Road
Layton, NJ 07851
- Please submit the following via online or in the mail by February 1st: